Did you know that being a woman over 40 is the new 21? Or as I said when I turned 40, I’m twice as hot as two twenty year old’s BOOM!😊! As a woman over 40, you have come to a point in life where there’s no going back – this is you at your finest. You have learned so many new things about life and yourself. You have created legacies beyond your own existence in form of work, family and relationships. And yes, maybe you feel wearier than your younger self at times. This is why it’s so bloody important to stay active and continue learning from life as we get older. But even more importantly — to stay positive! As we age, it’s completely up to us how we view ageing: We can love it or hate it – and who the f wants to hate themselves every day? I can honestly say that as I turn 43, my forties have been my best decade yet and I am 100% loving my life.
There are so many reasons to stay young at heart even when you are technically getting ‘old’ …
Why It’s Important to Have A Life Over 40
First of all: You’re not dead yet!
We have the power to create real change in the world. – With age comes experience, which is a powerful form of knowledge that can benefit those around us. – We are wiser. – We can make better decisions with age because we have experienced what didn’t work in the past (who honestly wants to be an idiotic 21 again!?) – We have more time to do the things we love. – We are more in tune with our bodies and what works for us. – We are better equipped to handle the challenges of life. We are freaking awesome!
Yoga is the Fountain of Youth
As children, we all dreamed of growing up and living a life without responsibilities. We thought it would be an amazing experience full of endless excitement and adventure. When we become adults, we are suddenly faced with choices we never expected – reality kicks in and as adults, we’re often looking around looking for a REAL adult to help. We have to pave our own paths, make decisions that affect our lives in big ways, and handle responsibilities that are sometimes – beyond belief. Moreover, our bodies are not the same as they were when we were children. We have grown bigger and stronger, but we also have to deal with the effects of aging. Practicing yoga is one of the best things you can do for your body when you are an adult because it allows you to stay strong and flexible at the same time. You can also maintain a balanced and healthy lifestyle by bringing yoga into your everyday routine. The best part about yoga is that it can be done at any time and in any place – yoga is for everybody. You do not have to join a gym or go for a run to stay healthy. You can simply pull some shapes and meditate in your living room and you will see the fruits of your labour very soon.
Kick-Off Strong with Morning Rituals
Write in your journal. Journaling is a genuinely powerful way to get your feelings out without necessarily having to talk to someone. It’s a great way to start your day because journaling is a simple form of self-love and self-care. It allows you to look back at your previous day and reflect on the positives. It also allows you to look forward to the day ahead and write down what you want to happen.
Meditate to center yourself. Meditation is another powerful way to start your day. Even a few minutes of quiet time dedicated to self-reflection can go a long way in setting yourself up for a successful day ahead. It allows you to center yourself and focus on the present moment. – Eat a nutritious breakfast. Food is fuel for the body so start your day off right by eating a nutritious breakfast. Make sure to eat something that will give you energy for the day.
Body-Weight Exercises for the Win!
Again – what is a better weight-bearing exercise than yoga? Whether you are performing these movements as part of your yoga asana practice or when you’re at the gym – these key moves are going to make your body healthy and strong.
– Squats – Squats are one of the best exercises for women over 40. They tone the lower body and are especially good for the glutes and thighs. To perform a squat, stand with your feet about one foot apart, bend your knees and keep your back straight. Make sure to bend your knees until your knees are aligned with your hips and your thighs are parallel to the ground. Hold this position for a few seconds and return to the original position.
– Lunges – Lunges tone and strengthen the leg muscles and are especially good for the glutes. To perform a lunge, stand with your feet together, and take a big step forward with one leg. Bend both knees and make sure to keep your back straight. Hold this position for a few seconds and return to the original position. Repeat on the other side.
– Push-Ups – Push-ups are an excellent upper body exercise that tones and strengthens the arms, shoulders, core and back. Lie on the floor and extend your arms, making sure to keep your legs and feet together. Bend your arms and lower your torso until it is aligned with your palms. Hold this position for a few seconds and return to the original position.
Yogic Breathing to Calm the Nerves
Yogic Breathing is one of the most effective ways to calm nerves and anxiety. There are multiple breathing exercises you can try to help yourself relax and focus. One such breathing exercise is the 4-7-8 technique.
– The 4-7-8 breathing exercise helps you calm your mind, relax your body, and relieve stress and anxiety. It takes about five minutes and can be done anywhere and at any time.
– Sit comfortably and place one hand on your stomach and one on your chest. Now, breathe in for four seconds through your nose, focusing on the rise and fall of your stomach. Hold your breath for seven seconds, focusing on the rise and fall of your chest. Exhale for eight seconds through your mouth, focusing on the rise and fall of your stomach.
– Another breathing exercise is the 10-2-5 breathing technique.
Final Words: Just Love Yourself
As a woman over 40, you are more than capable of taking care of yourself. You don’t need to feel helpless or alone ffs. There are plenty of things you can do to stay positive, healthy, and happy. It’s important to keep up with self-care as you get older. You need to make sure you are eating right, exercising, and taking care of your mental health. Stay well, stay aware of how your body and mind feel and what they need – and give it to them!
Want to join me in Bali?
At my EMPOWER retreat in Bali, I want you to leave understanding what yoga really is and what it can do for your mindset, your health and vitality in real life. This is not just about physical yoga, this is about embracing yoga off the yoga mat – at every age – when you go home too.
We’ll dive deep into feminine yoga and self-care practices, looking at how the ‘right yoga practice’ can make a huge difference to your physical, emotional and mental well-being. Focusing not just on how Asana can be especially therapeutic for women, we’ll also look at the importance of embracing each of the female life stages; channeling energy highs and lows throughout the month; stepping into your personal power, and letting go of old patterns that are holding you back.
In the beautiful surroundings of Canggu, Bali, take time out with me to re-evaluate and focus. You’ll enjoy beautiful beachfront accommodation; nutritious food; yoga practices created just for women and traditional Balinese massage and spa, which makes this week a great way to start again.
Join me for a week of feminine yoga, wellness, deep relaxation, of course, a whole lot of fun.
I’m an inclusive, not scary, totally normal yet heavily qualified yoga instructor and founder of YogaBellies® and the Birth ROCKS Method. I’m trained in self hypnosis and meditation and what I love is helping women (ALL women) enjoy yoga without having to whisper all the time and wear fancy activewear that cost a month’s rent.
I believe Yoga is for everyone.