This breathing technique helps calm the mind, cool the body and help you to prepare for meditation. This practice also helps to store and control Prana (vital energy). Nadi Shodana cools you down on a hot day and also strengthens and cleanses the entire respiratory system.
Because our breathing naturally alternates between the two nostrils, changing roughly every 2 hours, practicing Nadi Shodana helps balance the two elements: the right represents the hot sun and the left is the cool moon.
HOW TO DO IT:
1. Sit in an easy pose or simple cross legs. Make sure your back is straight and your head and spine erect. Position your left hand in chin mudra (index finger touching middle finger) and your right hand in Vishnu mudra extend. Take 2 or 3 deep breaths here and close your eyes.
2. Inhale deeply through both nostrils and bring the right hand to the nose and cover the right nostril with your right thumb.
3. Exhale slowly through the left nostril slowly for 8 seconds, less if this is uncomfortable.
4. Now inhale through the left nostril for around 4 seconds. Again, reduce this if you have to.
5. Exhale through the right nostril for 8 seconds.
6. Now inhale through the right nostril for 4 seconds.
8. Continue to repeat the same process for at least three rounds up to 10 rounds a day.
This is a modified version of Nadi Shodana with no breath retention. Remember to never hold the breath while pregnant.
This is an extract from Cheryl MacDonald’s new book YogaBellies for Pregnancy available in paperback and Kindle on Amazon.co.uk click here https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/151736583X
Contact us today for a yoga teacher training online classes.
DOWNLOAD YOUR FREE BEGINNERS GUIDE TO TEACHING PREGNANCY YOGA HERE
If you’re checking out this guide, you could already a yoga teacher or working with women during pregnancy and birth. Or perhaps you’ve never taught yoga before but you dream about it! It’s possible that you’re feeling anxious that you’re not quite ‘qualified’ to look after pregnant yoga clients properly.
Pregnancy and post-partum are a whole new ball game with their own set of complications, risks and ailments.
I get it! I felt the same.
PURCHASE THE COMPLETE YOGABELLIES FOR PREGNANCY AT HOME PROGRAMME HERE
At Last! Your Complete Pregnancy Lifestyle Programme for
A Healthy Mind, Body, and Soul …
Contact us today to become a yoga teacher trainer.
share the love
I’m an inclusive, not scary, totally normal yet heavily qualified yoga instructor and founder of YogaBellies® and the Birth ROCKS Method. I’m trained in self hypnosis and meditation and what I love is helping women (ALL women) enjoy yoga without having to whisper all the time and wear fancy activewear that cost a month’s rent.
I believe Yoga is for everyone.